HomeContact usHelpSite mapTerms of use Search


You are here: Homepage: About Alpha Bank: The Bank:
   
   
History
Chronology
1870
1910
1920
1930
1940
1950
1960
1970
1980
1990
2000
2010
Vision & Values
Distinctions
Key Indicators on December 31
Headquarters
Useful Telephone Numbers
Organisational Structure
Branches with expanded banking hours
Banking Hours of Poros Cephallonia and Nydri-Lefkas Branches
Significant events during the last 5 years
 
   

Alpha Bank Chronology


1870| 1910| 1920| 1930| 1940| 1950| 1960| 1970| 1980| 1990| 2000| 2010


he history of Alpha Bank presents a rich business activity of more than 130 years’ presence in the economic life of the country. The roots of the Bank can be traced back to the J.F. Costopoulos Commercial Firm, which shortly after its foundation in 1879, in Kalamata, extended its activities into banking. A landmark in this course was the year 1916, when John F. Costopoulos, with the collaboration of the Popular Bank, founded the J.F. Costopoulos Bank in the form of a limited partnership, always having Kalamata as its registered seat. Two years later, in 1918, this Bank gave its place to the Bank of Kalamata that operated as a Public Limited Company.


In 1924 the Bank of Kalamata was merged with the banking department of the J.F. Costopoulos commercial firm, thereby creating the Banque de Crédit Commercial Hellénique, which had its registered seat in Athens and developed a regional network of branches in South Peloponnese. In the years of economic reconstruction that followed the Second World War, the Banque de Crédit Commercial Hellénique, which in 1947 was renamed Commercial Credit Bank, was the only Bank of its size able to overcome the difficult circumstances of that period and would now pursue the development of a national network of branches. Since the 1970s, the Credit Bank, as it was renamed in 1972, had been a pioneer in the modernisation of the Greek banking system, while after the deregulation of the late 1980s, it had already shaped the profile of a banking Group able to provide a wide range of innovative financial services.
In the year 1999 Alpha Credit Bank –a name adopted in 1994– acquired 51% of the shares of the Ionian Bank, thus performing the largest privatisation ever carried out in Greece. The merger of the two financial institutions was completed in the following year, while the new, enlarged Bank was named Alpha Bank.
On February 1, 2013, pursuant to the acquisition agreement of October 16th, 2012, with regards to the sale of Emporiki Bank S.A. from Cerdit Agricole S.A. to Alpha Bank A.E., and the approvals by the Greek and Cypriot Central Banks and anti-trust authorities, the entire share capital of Emporiki has been transferred to Alpha Bank by Credit Agricole . 

Nowadays, Alpha Bank and its subsidiaries comprise a modern Group of Companies of the financial sector that provide financial services to almost 4 million retail and wholesale Customers in Greece and abroad. Apart from Greece, Alpha Bank is active in the markets of Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria, F.Y.R.O.M., Albania and Cyprus while it also has a presence in London. 


  Print