Individuals - SEPA
The changes resulting from the implementation of Regulation (EU) 260/2012 for individuals are the following:
- As of 1.2.2016, the mandatory use of the Bank Identification Code (BIC) is cancelled.
- As of 1.8.2014 exclusive use-inclusion of the IBAN (International Bank Account Number) has become mandatory, even for accounts held with the same Bank. For the leaflet of the Hellenic Bank Association regarding the importance of the exclusive use of the IBAN, click here.
- As of 1.8.2014, the Remittance Info field allows for a maximum length of 140 characters.
The above apply to direct debits (SEPA DIRECT DEBITS) and credit transfers (SEPA CREDIT TRANSFERS) within the European Union, i.e. to:
- Outgoing credit transfers from Branches and the Alternative Networks
- Incoming credit transfers
- Payment orders to third parties / Payment orders using a special payment description code.