Participation in Indices
FTSE4Good Index Series
Following its assessment by the FTSE International Organization, in 2020 Alpha Bank remained a constituent of the Financial Times Stock Exchange4Good (FTSE4Good) Index Series, further improving its rating compared to 2019. In particular, according to the assessment results, the Bank maintained its already high performance, while improving its performance in Corporate Governance.
The Index includes listed companies in emerging markets with a positive financial, environmental and social performance. Alpha Bank’s performance proves that, along with its business activity, the Bank is also highly aware of environmental and social issues, effectively investing in sustainable development. At the same time, it is also a strong motivation for Alpha Bank to strengthen its presence in the field of Corporate Responsibility, both in Greece and internationally.
MSCI ESG RatingsIn August 2020, Alpha Bank received a rating of AA (on a scale of AAA-CCC) in the MSCI ESG Ratings assessment. The Bank’s score has been improved for the fourth consecutive year. In particular, there has been a significant improvement in the Governance pillar.
THE USE BY ALPHA BANK OF ANY MSCI ESG RESEARCH LLC OR ITS AFFILIATES (“MSCI”) DATA, AND THE USE OF MSCI LOGOS, TRADEMARKS, SERVICE MARKS OR INDEX NAMES HEREIN, DO NOT CONSTITUTE A SPONSORSHIP, ENDORSEMENT, RECOMMENDATION, OR PROMOTION OF ALPHA BANK BY MSCI. MSCI SERVICES AND DATA ARE THE PROPERTY OF MSCI OR ITS INFORMATION PROVIDERS, AND ARE PROVIDED ‘AS-IS’ AND WITHOUT WARRANTY. MSCI NAMES AND LOGOS ARE TRADEMARKS OR SERVICE MARKS OF MSCI.
Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI)
In January 2022, Alpha Bank was included for the fourth consecutive year in the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI). This index is a key source of qualitative information on gender equality issues and assesses listed companies from all sectors of the economy, in terms of transparency in gender reporting and the initiatives they take for advancing women in the workplace. The 2022 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI) represents 418 companies, from 11 sectors across 45 countries and regions.
CDP – Carbon Disclosure Project
Alpha Bank disclosed, for the fifth consecutive year, on the CDP platform, the required environmental information on how to deal with climate change and, after evaluation, received a rating of B-. This rating confirms that the Bank recognizes the impact of climate change on its activities, its effect on the environment, but also its commitment to participate in international sustainable development initiatives.
Vigeo Eiris – Best EM Performers
Alpha Bank, after its successful assessment by Vigeo Eiris, was included for the first time in 2019 in the Best Emerging Market Performers Ranking, which includes the 100 best performing companies from the Emerging Markets, in terms of their ESG (Environmental – Social – Governance) performance. Compared to last year, the Bank improved its performance in all 3 categories (Environment, Society and Corporate Governance + 5), as well as its position in the financial sector ranking.
Alpha Bank S.A. received the highest rating from the ISS ESG
Alpha Bank in April 2021 was evaluated by the international company ISS Corporate Solutions, which provides a quality evaluation based on the company's performance in the fields of Environment, Society and Corporate Governance. During the assessment in the field of Environment, the Bank received the highest rating 1, on a scale of 1-10 (where 1 corresponds to lower risk and better disclosure). The result shows that the Bank remains at the same high level.
Participation in International Organisations and Indices
The Bank participates in a number of Associations and/or Organisations that address major issues of concern to the banking sector or of broader social relevance. These include the following:
- UNEP FI (United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative): The United Nations Initiative Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is a UN initiative that promotes sustainable development with a strong focus on the protection of the environment. Alpha Bank is a member of this Initiative since 2004 and is actively involved in the global effort to create a sustainable future for the economy and the planet, by endorsing (as Founding Signatory) the six Principles of Responsible Banking, which provide a comprehensive framework for responsible and sustainable banking, across the whole range of banking activities.
- Global Sustain: This organisation provides innovative solutions and services pertaining to corporate social responsibility, the green economy and development. Its members include companies, non-profit organisations, public entities, educational institutions, societies and other private- and public-sector organisations.
- Hellenic Network for Corporate Social Responsibility: The Hellenic Network for Corporate Social Responsibility is a business-driven non-profit association. Its mission is to promote the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility to both the business community and the social environment. Alpha Bank is a member of the Hellenic Network for Corporate Social Responsibility since 2007 and participates actively in its initiatives.
Additionally, the Bank participates and is represented in various Committees and Boards of the Hellenic Bank Association (HBA), the Bank of Greece, and the Hellenic Advertisers Association. More specifically, the Bank participates in the Sustainable Development Committee of the Hellenic Bank Association, tasked with addressing issues of interest to the banking sector which are related to the environment and to sustainable development, such as:
- the financial sector’s collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI)
- the representation of the Greek Banks in Working Groups and in promotional and information events
- the formulation of positions and opinions for the Greek Banks on issues concerning the protection of the environment and sustainable development.