Alpha Bank A.E. uses “cookies" on its websites in order to provide visitors with a safer and more efficient environment. By choosing to continue to browse our websites, you accept the use of “cookies". For details, see the Cookies Policy paragraph under the Terms of Use.
   

HomeContact usHelpSite mapTerms of use┼╦╦ă═╔╩┴ Search


You are here: Homepage: About Alpha Bank: The Bank: Chronology: 1970:
   
   
1870
1910
1920
1930
1940
1950
1960
1970
1970-1974
1975-1979
1980
1990
2000
2010
 
1975-1979

   

1975| 1976| 1977| 1978| 1979

1975
 
• The first Foreign Exchange Centres are established in central Athens.

• The Bank acquires a 25% stake in the share capital of Diners Club of Greece S.A., thus being included in the circle of large foreign banks that participate in the capital of the respective Diners Club of their countries.



 

1976




• An advertising campaign with the slogan ''Mazi'' (Together) is inaugurated which encapsulates the business attitude of the Bank and reveals the human dimension of the modern banking concept.

 



''Mazi'' (Together) becomes the slogan of
all communication of the Bank

1977




• The development of the Network of Foreign Exchange Centres of the Bank proceeds apace with a presence both at central points in Athens and in tourist areas in the provinces.

 

 

 


 


• The decision of the Bank of Greece to allow the granting of student exchange solely from commercial banks enables the Bank to establish the Student Foreign Exchange Card which constitutes an innovation in banking transactions.




External view of a Foreign Exchange Centre
Image taken from the Annual Report of the Bank, 1977


 



The Student Foreign Exchange Card, 1977
Alpha Bank Historical Archives

1978



• The new structure of the General Management of the Bank is approved which establishes the position of Assistant General Manager. The respective responsibilities are assumed by Ioannis E. Papoutsis.

 

 


 


 



• A state-of-the-art system for on-line transactions is introduced rapidly for all Savings accounts applications. By the end of the year, it covers 20 Branches. 

 





• Membership in the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) and link with the Reuters economic information system. 


• The Network of the Bank now reaches the number of 65 Branches.




Ioannis E. Papoutsis
Assistant General Manager
Part of a photograph, 1980
Alpha Bank Historical Archives
 
  
 


Information brochure of the Credit Bank on the
new “Teller” transactions system, 1978
Alpha Bank Historical Archives

1979

 

• The celebration of the Centenary since the founding of the Bank provides the opportunity for numerous promotional actions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

• On the occasion of the anniversary, the Bank publishes the commemorative album ''The Banknotes of Greece from 1828 until the Present Day''. The book presents the economic history of the country through the Greek banknotes.

 

 

 



 

• On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Bank its Chairman Spyros J. Costopoulos along with his wife Eurydice make an endowment to establish the J.F. Costopoulos Foundation. The purpose of the Foundation is to support and promote the Greek culture in Greece and abroad.

 

          

Commemorative poster for the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Bank, 1979
Alpha Bank
Historical Archives

Exterior view of the passbook issued on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Bank, 1979
Alpha Bank
Historical Archives




The commemorative publication of the Bank
''The Banknotes of Greece from
1828 until the Present Day'', 1979
Alpha Bank Library




The cover of the first Annual Report of the
J.F. Costopoulos Foundation, 1980


  Print

   
Alpha Bank A.E. uses “cookies" on its websites in order to provide visitors with a safer and more efficient environment. By choosing to continue to browse our websites, you accept the use of “cookies". For details, see the Cookies Policy paragraph under the Terms of Use.