Alpha Bank A.E. uses “cookies" on its websites in order to provide visitors with a safer and more efficient environment. By choosing to continue to browse our websites, you accept the use of “cookies". For details, see the Cookies Policy paragraph under the Terms of Use.
   

HomeContact usHelpSite mapTerms of use┼╦╦ă═╔╩┴ Search


You are here: Homepage: About Alpha Bank: The Bank: Chronology: 1980:
   
   
1870
1910
1920
1930
1940
1950
1960
1970
1980
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990
2000
2010
 
1980-1984

   

1980| 1981| 1982| 1983| 1984

1980

 


• The on-line system for Savings applications is extended to the entire network of Branches and is gradually developed in real-time.

 



The Computer Centre of the Bank
after the installation of the dual system electronic computer of the technologically-advanced type UNIVAC 1100/60
Photograph
Alpha Bank Historical Archives

1981




• The foundation is laid for the new Main Building of the Bank.

 

 

 

 


 

• The subsidiary Company ''Alpha Computers A.E.'' is established. It is the first company of the Group to introduce the word ''Alpha'' in the vocabulary of the Bank. A few years later (1986), it will become the first company to provide leasing services in Greece. In 1989, it will be renamed as ''Alpha Leasing S.A.''    



The inscription on the foundation stone
of the new Main Building of the Bank
Alpha Bank Historical Archives

 



Advertising brochure of the subsidiary
Company “Alpha Leasing”, 1989
Alpha Bank Historical Archives

1982



• The Bank is the first to enter the age of the automation of transactions by introducing the on-line/real-time system that offers its Clients the possibility for automatic withdrawal and deposit of money.  



• The new multi-storey building of the Bank in Thessaloniki is inaugurated. It is the seat of the Northern Greece Branch Division and also the most important hub of the electronic network.

 


 


 

• A subsidiary portfolio Company is founded under the name ''Sperchoghia A.E.''. 

 



• The structure of the General Management of the Bank is expanded with the establishment of the position of Deputy General Manager who will assist the General Manager in his duties. This position is assumed by Constantine A. Kyriacopoulos, until then an Executive of the Commercial Bank.




 


 


External view of the building of the Northern Greece Branch Division, 1982
Alpha Bank Historical Archives
 

 

 



Constantine A. Kyriacopoulos
Deputy General Manager
Photograph taken from the internal communication publication
''Astrapi (Lightning)'', 1982
Alpha Bank Historical Archives

1983



• The first Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are installed and the first network of automated transactions in Greece is created. 

 

 

 




 

• The subsidiary Company ''Credit Investments A.E.'', a portfolio investment company, is founded. 

 

 

 


The first ''generation” of ATMs as
presented in a Bank Managers’ Meeting.
Photograph
Alpha Bank Historical Archives



Advertising brochure of the subsidiary Company ''Credit Investments'', 1985
Alpha Bank Historical Archives

1984

 

• Spyros J. Costopoulos, who contributed creatively to the development of the Bank over a period of 70 years, is proclaimed Honorary Chairman. 


• The Managing Director Yannis S. Costopoulos is elected Chairman of the Board of Directors and General Manager of the Bank.

 

 

 


Yannis S. Costopoulos
Chairman of the Board of Directors
of the Bank from 1984 until the present day
Photograph
Alpha Bank Historical Archives


  Print

   
Alpha Bank A.E. uses “cookies" on its websites in order to provide visitors with a safer and more efficient environment. By choosing to continue to browse our websites, you accept the use of “cookies". For details, see the Cookies Policy paragraph under the Terms of Use.